We aim to list all public transport services and information sources that relate to actual services being offered to, from and through Galway city, right now.
We don't generally report:
- Short-term service disruptions - these are better checked directly with the public transport providers
- Planned services unless they have an announced start date and have accepted bookings.
Direct advertising from public transport providers is not accepted. However new services and changes are publicised - for free - when they occur. News embargo dates requested by public-transport providers are respected. so that announcements here do not impact on planned publicity campaigns.
News for 2010:
- 25 Nov: CityLink service changes:
Services from Dublin Airport now have a new stop, closer to the terminal building. The multi-stop service is now called CityLink Commuter, and offers 10-trip, annual tax-saver and student tickets, and a stop at Athlone IT. There is also a 12-midnight departure from Dublin City. Full details.
- 23 Nov: Christmas Park and Ride for Galway City starts on Sat 4 December: park at Ballybrit Racecourse, catch the bus to and from the inner-city for €2 per car (any number of passengers)
- 23 Nov: Iarnród Éireann / Irish Rail is offering special train fares to Galway this weekend (26-28 Nov) from (Limerick, Ennis, Sixmilebridge, Athenry, Athlone, Ballinasloe, Woodlawn, Attymon, Gort, Ardrahan and Craughwell. Details / book
- 17 Nov: From 22 Nov, Bus Éireann route X51 / 51X (Galway - Limerick express) will use the Gort bypass: journey time will be 80 minutes. Updated timetable (link coming soon).
Also, some X51s will serve University of Limerick (UL) and Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) on Friday and Sunday - details.
- 18 Oct: Galway Airport departure tax starts on 1 Nov 2010, €10 per passenger over 12. Flights booked before 11 Oct 2010 are exempt. More info.
- 15 Oct: From 18 Oct, changes to some train services:The 6:05hrs Galway to Dublin (Heuston) is replaced by a 6:35am, stopping at Athenry and Athlone, arriving in Dublin at 8:50am. This service doesn't stop at Woodlawn or Ballinasloe.The 7:05am Athlone to Galway service is replaced by 7:26am stopping at Ballinasloe Woodlawn, Attymon and Athenry. Arrives in Galway at 08:30.The 6:40am Galway to Limerick now leaves Athenry at 6:58, Craughwell at 7:07 and Ardrahan at 07:18am. Full details.
- 2 Oct: GoBus's winter timetable is effective from 8 October
- 16 Sept: Galway Culture Night is on Friday 24 Sept. The (free?) "Culture Bus" will run between Spanish Arch and Liosbán/Ballybane between 5pm and 9pm. Details and programme
- 12 Sept: CityLink's Galway - Shannon - Galway service is no longer running. Bus Éireann is now the only direct public transport option for Shannon Airport
- 9 Sept: Farrell Travel (Athenry to Galway) have introduced a ticket concession scheme. Applies to day and Night Link services. Participating shops/pubs/restaurants etc listed on their website.
- 22 Aug: City Direct are encouraging bus use by offering free September travel for a child to the first 50 people who respond. Details.
- 10 Aug: Bus Éireann are splitting the Galway-Dublin Route into routes 20 and 20X: the 20X service stops at Loughrea, Ballinasloe and Athlone, Dublin Airport then Dublin City. Each route departs once every two hours. Starting 15 August. Press release. Timetable.
- 11 Jul: Other
Churches and Houses-of-Worship map added to GalwayTransport.info.
- 5 Jul: Manxx2.com now fly
from Galway to Cork and Belfast.
(No improvements to the Galway city / airport transfer options though.)
- 4 Jul: National Play Day:
Children ride FREE on Bus Éireann in Galway city 1:30 - 4:30pm (source). Route 9 (not 409) goes from Eyre Square to Doughiska playground (route map - neighbourhood map)
- 3 Jul: Bus
Éireann have reduced services on route 424 (Galway - Barna - Furbo -
Inverin - Rossaveal - Spiddal - Carraroe - Lettermullen). Updated
- 28 June: Liosbán
Industrial Estate layout map added to GalwayTransport.info.
- 15 June: Burkes Galway city bus stop has moved from Forster St to outside the
SIPTU offices on Bóthar Ui Eithir (the road linking Bohermore and the
College Rd / Forster St intersection - see the regional bus stops map)
- 3 June: Powerboat Festival at Salthill, Fri 5th - Mon 7th of June 2010.
- Park and Ride at Ballybrit Racecourse: Buses to/from the city every 5 minutes between 11:30am - 11pm. €2 per adult (children & OAPs free)
- Bus Éireann - €5 day return to Galway from Kinvara, Gort, Loughrea, Tuam, Maam Cross, Spiddal (and places in between)
- Shuttle Service from Eyre Square to the City - operated by Bus
- 1 June Body and Soul, Leonard Cohen and Electric Picnic added to the Event
- 23 May: Event transport page added to the site. First event listed is Oxygen.
- 1 May : Galway Cemeteries map added to GalwayTransport.info
- 31 Mar: Easter 2010 bus services.
- 16 Mar: St
Patrick's Day 2010 bus services
- 10 Mar Bus Éireann have announced the next service-changes due to their cost recovery plan. Route 70 to Galway-Athlone once per day is cancelled from 28 March. Status of the Sunday pm #70 Galway to Athlone IT unknown as yet. Full details.
- 17 Feb CityLink cuts the Galway - Shannon Airport service to 6 departures per day, from Mon 22 Feb. Details.
- 10 Feb: Irish Rail's Galway-Limerick train service starts on 30 March. Details. Five services daily - see the Journey Planner for times.
- 30 Jan: Bus Éireann have announced the first service-changes due to their cost recovery plan. See their statement, or this summary for Galway.
- 28 Jan: Farrell Travel have a new-look website, and are running a Nightlink Galway-Athenry service (Thurs-Sat), and are offering some new fare-discounts.
- 25 Jan: Brendan Boyle are running a new N63 Bus, now running up to 4 serivces per day between Ballygar,
Newbridge, Mountbellew, Moylough, Abbeyknockmoy, Turloughmore, Lackagh
and Galway Cathedral
- 22 Jan: Bus Éireann route 64 (Galway-Tuam-Knock-Sligo-Letterkenny-Derry) will be stopping at Knock (Ireland West) airport, from 31 January. (souce)
- 18 Jan: City Funeral Directors map added to GalwayTransport.info