This page lists public transport options between Galway City and the airports that are regularly used by people travelling to/from Galway.
- Bus - Bus Eireann route 425c - limted service, does not meet all flights
- Taxi - costs €15-25, depending on traffic
- Combination - Route 9 bus to Briarhill Shopping Centre, taxi from there (There is no taxi stand, you need to organise this by phone). This is the cheapest option when airport-bus times are unsuitable
- Gobus (non-stop from Galway to Dublin city - trip time 2.5 - 3 hours)
- Citylink (some services non-stop, "super single" fares, trip time approx 3:15, wi-fi)
- Bus Èireann (trip time between 3:40 and 4:10 hours)
- Train + shuttle bus from Heuston Station
Bus Éireann are now the only company serving Shannon from Galway:
- Route 51 (Galway - Limerick - Cork) buses run every hour between 7am and 8pm (approx).
- Note that route x51 (Galway - Limerick express) does NOT serve the airport.
- See www.buseireann.ie for information about connections to other towns.
There is no train service to Shannon Airport.
The closest railway station is at Sixmilebridge, which is about 15km east of the airport: from here, there are around 5 trains per day to Galway. See Irish Rail's website for more information
Taxis / hackneys:
Many taxi and hackney companies in Galway will do a fixed-fare journey to Shannon. Travel time is a little over 1 hour from Eyre Square. You need to book in advance: always ask the compnay for advice about the time to allow, as it can take longer in heavy traffic. Fares of €90 have been quoted publically.
Early morning flights:
There is no direct public transport from Galway to Shannon that arrives in time for early morning flights. Other options include:
Travelling to the Shannon area by bus the evening before, and
- spending the night in a local B&B and using a local taxi or Bus Eireann's roue 343 Limerick-Shannon service which arrives at Shannon at 5:45am,
- or just spending the night in the airport terminal.
Aerfort na Minna / Connemara Regional Airport (Inverin/Indreabhán)
- Aer Arran Islands run a shuttle-bus from Galway city: book it when you purchase tickets for your flight.
- Citylink run a service to Cork city, which continues on to Cork Airport and UCC.
- Bus Éireann run regular services to Cork city: from Cork bus-station you can connect with local buses out to the airport.
Ireland West / Knock